Sunday 22 May 2011

whatever makes her happy, on a saturday night

Alriiiight, last night I went to see Suede perform their album 'Coming Up' (+ mammoth encore) at Brixton Academy. Before you judge me for going to see their most mainstream album, I did have tickets to all three nights but couldn't find anyone to go with so sold them, ha. Yes it was a shame that this album was sans Butler, but last nights gig wasn't so winwinwinwin. Now Suede are not my usual music tastes in so much as I guess they are Britpop/Indie, but aside from them and The Smiths (you can draw a direct link from The Smiths to Suede - poignant, gloomy lyrics, indeterminate sexuality... iconic hair...) I am not a fan of 'indie', which is a bullshit meaningless term now anyway but you get me bruv? I obviously like the thowmping electric-ness of Suede, but also, like The Smiths, they have some great lyrics. I thought the impressive and I'm so glad to have finally seen a band I've loved since I was too young to know what the song 'Animal Nitrate' was about. I watched the Butler/Anderson reincarnate band The Tears at Reading festival in 2005 and was touched by how lovely the fans were and what a great atmosphere there was in the tent, so it spurred me on even more to see Suede. They played the entire album last night but also played a juicy encore of besties from other albums and releases so you got more bang for your buck. This is by no means their best song and I could be here all night trying to play favourites, but for some reason this one really stood out for me from last nights set :



This is obvv not footage from last night, that would shit because a) it would be shit quality and b) I think its shit when people go to gigs and spend the entire time trying to film and photograph it on their camera phones, just enjoy it man, live in the now. I remember seeing a picture of Pink in concert and the whole crowd looked like they were trying to film it, it made me feel a bit sick.

Theeeeen today I went to New Cross to celebrate my sisters 21st birthday with the fam (minus Gregg but plus Furr). We went to the amaaazing New Cross House and ate so much food and it was great, I had such a nice time and hope everyone else did too.









I look like a crim with my hair up like this, but note the reduction in ridiculousness when we are sat down together, and I wanted to give this dogtooth check and with velour collar, jacket a mention as it was £3 from Sue Ryder charity shop in Woodley, it is 90s Miss Selfridge so a bit boxy, although, interestingly, winter just gone they had a more modern silhouette reworking of this jacket in there, must have revisited the archives.
Wore it with a pleather mini skirt (copied from Amy, Asda bargains) so the overall look was hopefully less horsey.

2 comments: